OUTDOOR RECREATION ... Itineraries
Carroll County is often called the Hidden Treasure of NW Illinois simply
for its scenic beauty and abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities
- The Great River Trail recreational path extends 62 miles from the Quad Cities to Savanna, providing fantastic biking, hiking, running and walking opportunities. The trail starts just behind the Savanna Railroad Car in downtown Savanna and meanders past several wildlife viewing areas and through the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge. Bikers can stop at the Ingersoll Wetlands Learning Center for a restroom break and to view the exhibits. Rest areas and picnic areas are scattered along the trail. Download Your Map Here>>>
- The Mississippi Palisades State Park offers several hiking trails through both moderate and difficult with some stopping or starting at scenic overlooks of the river. Picnic tables and restroom facilities are available. Located north of Savanna on Hwy. 84.
- Fin & Feather – Thomson – 815-273-3302 – Boat and canoe rental
- Lazy River Marina – Savanna – 815-273-2955
- Savanna Marina – Savanna – 815-273-2955 – storage and café available
- U.S.A.C.E. Big Slough – Thomson – 815-259-3628
- Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife & Fish Refuge – Thomson – 815-273-2732
- Eagle Point Paintball – Milledgeville – The paintball field is on an island off of Elkhorn Creek. Reservations are necessary please call 815-225-7473
- Rack & Wing – Lanark – Guides provide NW Illinois hunts for whitetail, wild turkey and game birds. Call for reservations -815-493-6443
- Mississippi Palisades State Park Rock Climbing – Savanna – Rock formations for climbing picnic areas and restrooms available.
- McMotopark – Mt. Carroll - 40 acres of fun, challenging track of natural terrain. Elevation changes, jumps and obstacles for beginner to pro-level riders. Call for hours 815-238-1614
Please visit the Lodging or Restaurant pages for full listings.